Sunday, January 12, 2020

Jan 12

There is a callus on my right hand on the knuckle at the base of my middle finger.

It's not very visible; you can really only see it if you know what to look for.

It's a sad kind of callus.

It's not formed from hard work or repeated use for something life-affirming like making art or music.

I used to have joyful calluses. There was the one on my right thumb from holding up a clarinet for hours a day. I still have the one on my pointer from writing, but it's softened from years of trading pen and ink for the clickety-clack of keyboards.

This callus is a reminder of shame and betrayal. A symbol of self-loathing and abuse.

Maybe someday it will fade out of disuse like the one from my thumb.

I can only hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

May 10

I just wrote something maybe interesting in my little yellow notebook because I thought, "Maybe if I write stuff down here first I'...